Tuesday, June 21, 2005

A Lesson From Nature

Nature, by God's design, leaves little lessons for the observant onlooker to find. One such lesson manifested itself in our very own backyard. When we installed a new shepherd's rod to hang our Finch feeder on we inadvertently moved the wild bird food too close which resulted in the sparrow's chasing off our favorite yellow finches. To rectify the situation I simply moved the wild bird food about twenty-five feet west locating it in a nice spot beside the rose bushes. When the sparrows returned for their evening dinner they completely overlooked the fresh food and concentrated on the remnants scattered on the ground where it was originally located. To my amazement (and amusement as well) they would literally fly over the feast I had intentionally left for them to pick at the few seeds that were left over from where they used to feed.
.....
And here is the lesson that emerges....how many times do we go right by the feast that God has purposely and deliberately set out for us? Literally bypassing His "handfuls on purpose" to forage through the fragments of yesterday's blessings simply because He is blessing us in places and ways we haven't been yet? I don't want to be so enslaved by habit or bound by inflexible thinking that I miss out on God's fresh blessings!
.....
So, I owe a debt to the birds for the lesson they inadvertently taught me in my own backyard and to God for leaving such lessons for me to learn from. I am ready, God! Wherever and however you want to bless, I have my bib on and my fork in my hand! Bon appétit everyone!

No comments: